Federal Habeas Corpus

Following sentencing and any direct appeals, federal prisoners are permitted to collaterally attack their sentence or conviction by filing a habeas corpus petition. The petition is filed by an inmate as an objection to their imprisonment, and it must show that the court made a legal or factual error when ordering imprisonment or a particular sentence. This most often involves claiming ineffective assistance of counsel.

We will review your case to determine if there are any legitimate areas where your attorney was ineffective to an unconstitutional degree. If we see there is a case for habeas corpus, we will assist you with retaining competent counsel (either an attorney or an experienced paralegal) to help you file a 2255 petition within the appropriate timeframe — usually one year from either sentencing or the final denial of appeal by a higher court.

Contact us for more information on federal habeas corpus petitions.