When charged with a federal crime, it can feel as though your life is crashing down. For many in this position, it feels as though there is nowhere to turn. It can be terrifying, and the fear of what is to come can be crippling. During this time of crisis, it is essential to quickly get a bearing on what is going on and what the best next steps are to protect yourself, your family, and your future.
Enter the Zoukis Consulting Group and our team of highly-qualified federal prison consultants who have established relationships with top federal criminal defense attorneys.
From the moment you contact us, we will be there for you, helping you to make the best decisions possible from investigation or indictment through incarceration and on to your reentry to society. Our chief consultant, Christopher Zoukis, has been through it, so he understands it. And with a team of experienced federal criminal defense attorneys on our staff, we can provide a holistic solution to your current legal problems.
Our federal prison consultants can talk with you to help you build an informational framework from which to make the best possible decisions. We can also refer you to experienced federal criminal defense attorneys who can represent you at trial, on appeal, and in habeas corpus petitions (e.g., 2241 and 2252 motions). Our legal team can help you weigh the pros and cons of retaining legal counsel or going with a Public Defender, represent you at trial, and ensure that the best possible defense is raised for the charges lodged against you. If you elect to retain other counsel, our prison preparation and other prison consulting services are still available to you.
On the prison preparation side, our federal prison consultants will talk you through everything. We’ll explain what is going on, what steps are involved, and what to expect and prepare you for a term of federal incarceration if it looks like you will be serving time. Our federal prison consultants can also assist you with issues that may arise while in prison, such as:
- Advocating On Your Behalf When Health Care Concerns Present Themselves
- Prison Disciplinary Proceedings Defense and Appeals
- Prison Transfer Information and Client Advocacy
- Understanding Prison Visitation Policies and Procedures
- Drafting and Submitting Compassionate Release Petitions
- And More
Christopher Zoukis, our lead federal prison consultant, will start by providing you with a copy of his books: Federal Prison Handbook: The Definitive Guide to Surviving the Federal Bureau of Prisons and Directory of Federal Prisons: The Unofficial Guide to Bureau of Prisons Institutions. This guidebook will help you to understand every facet of federal prison and life therein. As you read this, Chris will speak with you about your unique circumstances and help you to create a plan for success. Initial matters often discussed include:
- Greeting Cellmates for the First Time
- How to Address Why You Are in Prison
- Prison Politics and Inmate Culture
- The Differences in Prison Security Levels
- What security level You Will Likely Be Housed Within
- What to do in Case of Violence
- How to Interact with Staff and Other Inmates
- How to Stay Connected to Family and Friends
- And More
While other federal prison consultants tend to focus on violence and power, Chris will speak with you about what security level you are likely to be housed at, the culture of specific institutions where you are likely to be designated, and how to navigate the complex social structure of these federal prisons. Just as critical as preparing you for what is to come, Chris will also help you create a plan for your term of incarceration. Consider:
- Want to earn an undergraduate or graduate degree while in federal prison?
- Are you interested in participating in religious or recreational services?
- Do you want to undergo drug or alcohol treatment, or treatment for a psychological issue?
- Are you elderly and want to seek an early release?
- Are you interested in maximizing halfway house and home confinement time?
- Want to ensure that you receive the maximum benefit of the First Step Act?
Regardless of your interests, Chris can help you come up with a plan. He can also help you develop your plan into specific, actionable steps to move it from concept to reality. Besides being highly experienced with Federal Bureau of Prisons’ policy and life therein, Chris is also the author of the Prison Education Guide and College for Convicts: The Case for Higher Education in American Prisons. He is known as a leading voice in the prison education field and can help you to fulfill your academic goals while incarcerated.
People enter the criminal justice system scared and afraid of what is to come. At the Zoukis Consulting Group, our goal is to alleviate this fear, impart the information you need to know to not only remain safe, but to thrive in the environment to come, and to hold your hand every step of the way. Assisted by our federal prison consultants and federal criminal defense attorneys, we can help you serve the least amount of time possible at the best prison with the earliest chance for release. We can also help you to come out of this experience as unscathed as possible.